eMentalHealth.ca/PrimaryCare, which officially launched in Sep 2015, is a website that supports primary care providers in caring for patients with mental health needs.
Primary care providers such as family physicians provide the bulk of mental health, yet have little time or resources to do so.
eMentalHealth.ca/PrimaryCare was built to try to fill this need, and is a collaboration between members of the Departments of Family Medicine and Psychiatry at the University of Ottawa.
eMentalHealth.ca/PrimaryCare provides tools for primary care practitioners such as:
- Point of care guides to provide a quick review on common mental health conditions seen in primary care
- Screening tools to help identify patients with mental health conditions
- Patient and family handouts to help with educating patients
- Mental health resource directory to help family physicians know where to refer a patient and community resources to recommend
- Mental health algorithms, e.g. Ottawa Depression Algorithm, a tool that makes it easier for primary care providers and their patients to select an evidence-based treatment pathway for depression in primary care.
eMentalHealth.ca/PrimaryCare is just the start of the Virtual Mental Health Clinic
The launch of eMentalHealth.ca/PrimaryCare marks the first part of the creation of a virtual mental health clinic.
Stage one, completed in September 2015, is the provision of information regarding mental health disorders, listings of services that are available and answers to commonly asked questions by primary care providers when referring patients to psychiatrists.
Stage two, due to be completed at the beginning of 2017, will be the provision of on-line e-Therapies with the option of e-Health Coaches; the option of e-Consults; and having a psychiatrist available to answer telephone queries by primary care providers.
Stage three to be completed by 2018, is to provide a referral brokerage system, where referrals from primary care have the opportunity of being managed by mental health referral brokers. The brokers would be able to direct, advocate for patients and help navigate the complex health care system, so that patients can more easily access services they need in a timely manner.
Vision 20x20 Initiative
The virtual mental health clinic is one of the steps to implementing the Vision 20x20 initiative. This suicide prevention program, headed by Dr. Simon Hatcher, Vice-Chair of Research for the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Ottawa, and in collaboration with the uOBMRI, aims to reduce rates of suicide and suicidal behaviour in the Champlain Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) region by 20% by the year 2020. A key part of Vision 20x20 is supporting primary care providers by improving the detection and treatment of depression.
About Our Team
The original eMentalHealth.ca/PrimaryCare was developed Dr's Michael Cheng, Mireille St-Jean, Eric Wooltorton and Farad Motamedi in 2013, thanks to seed funding from a Daniel Glazier Award from the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) in 2012.
Since 2015, eMentalHealth.ca/PrimaryCare is an initiative of the University of Ottawa Brain and Mind Research Institute, in collaboration with:
- Dr. Simon Hatcher, Vice-Chair of Research, Department of Psychiatry, University of Ottawa
- Dr. Alli Jalali, Faculty of Medicine, University of Ottawa
- Dr. Kathleen Pajer, Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario
- Dr. David Park, University of Ottawa, Brain and Mind Research Institute
- Valerie Testa, Research Manager, University of Ottawa
Content team members include:
Medical students from the uOttawa Faculty of Medicine including
- Talia Abecassis (Class of 2018), Khizer Amin (Class of 2016), Christopher Clarkstone (Class of 2016)
Residents of the uOttawa Department of Family Medicine, including
- Dr's Erin Brown (Class of 2014), Gurpreet Dhillon (Class of 2014)
Faculty Content experts
- Dr's Hany Bissada, Jasmine Gandhi, Tim Lau, Elliott Lee, Deanna Mercer, Phillippe Robaey, Sinthuja Suntharalingam
- And many others...
Promotional Materials for eMentalHealth.ca/PrimaryCare
Powered by the eMentalHealth.ca website platform
eMentalHealth.ca/PrimaryCare is powered by the existing eMentalHealth.ca website platform. eMentalHealth.ca, a website for the general public, provides information on mental health and where to find help and is an initiative of the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario in Ottawa, Ontario.
eMentalHealth.ca/PrimaryCare is the collaborative effort of many partnering individuals and organizations...